Extended Breast Feeding

Monday, January 12, 2015




I recently stopped breast-feefing my now 20 month old daughter. It was a decision I thought long and hard about since before Brooklyn had turned one. I struggled to breast feed when my twins were born and made sure everyone knew before Brooklyn was born that I was going to do whatever it took to breast feed her. I was determined and fortunate enough that even with her 5 days in the NICU at birth she has always from the start been an excellent breast feeder. I even visited a lactation consultant to make sure we were getting a good latch. I was never one of those moms that has a milk supply problem but did take a pre-natal and milk enhancer to keep up my storage in the freezer. So when the 1 yr mark hit I was like ok I will stop now, but I had a hard time letting go. It meant my baby was  getting older and considering Brooklyn was my last baby I decided to wait till after her CCAM surgery to stop. Well that took longer then expected so after her surgery at 17 months old we finally stopped our nursing journey. It was like ripping off a bandade, I needed to just do it and get over it. But I think for breastfeeding it is an emotional attachment you have with your child. Brooklyn had a rough start just entering this world, but with my help she had been a very healthy baby and I attribute that to the great nutrients she was receiving in my breast milk. It really irritates me when you get those stares from people when you nursing your older child without a cover, I mean it it just a boob get over it. Brooklyn was never a big fan of covers so when she was hungry I fed her it was that simple. So when I finally decided that for our family right now was a good time to stop I think the first few days we're harder on me then her. She asked for it mainly at bedtime but by the 5th day she didn't even ask to be nursed.  She still sometimes will grab at my breast but not to the point where she is trying to nurse. No one can tell you how soon or for how long you should breast feed, I think that is a personal choice. But for us I felt like I did my part in making sure my 17 month  breast feeding journey was a successful one and I was proud off sticking with it for as long as I did.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!